Shop Calendar

Friday, July 24, 2009

It's Friday already?


Wow, this week has flown by! It's already Friday, which means it's time for me to show off a new project! This week's FO is a scarf knit out of Malabrigo Sock yarn in the Abril colorway. No photos could do justice to the variations of this kettle-dyed colorway, it's just so gorgeous!

The pattern is the Gathered Scarf by Maryse Roudier. I made the following modifications:
  • I slipped the first stitch of each stockinette row for a pretty, even selvedge.
  • On the decrease row, I ssk 12 times, then k2tog 12 times. (I had read on Ravelry that the scarf started to "lean" a bit to one side when you k2tog across the entire decrease row. This was my effort to avoid that, and I think it worked quite well.)
  • I used smaller needles than the pattern calls for. I used US 3 and US 6 needles, while the pattern calls for US 4 and US 7. I liked the density of the fabric better on the smaller needles. However, the scarf is a bit too narrow for an adult (4" unblocked), so looking back I probably should have cast on more stitches to account for the tighter gauge. Turns out that I gave this scarf to my 7-year-old niece for her birthday, so all's well that ends well.
Finished dimensions: 4" wide, 57" long. I only used 80 grams of this yarn, which equals roughly 350 yards. Okay, here are some more photos for your viewing pleasure.
Have a fabulous weekend! I hope it's full of knitterly fun :)
~A

No comments:

Post a Comment