Shop Calendar

Thursday, July 30, 2009

It feels like Friday to me!

Hello again. I will be out of town tomorrow, so I'm posting a new project a little early this week.

But first, I wanted to point out that I've added a slideshow of photos from the recent Nicky Epstein class that was offered at The Nest (look up, just below the calendar!). Nicky was here on July 6, and she taught a class on Beginning Edgings and Knitted Flowers. She also did a bit of book signing while she was here. The photos were taken by Michelle Waters of Michelle Waters Photography in Clarksburg, WV. Aren't they beautiful? Anyway, we appreciate everyone who came out for the class, and especially would like to thank Nicky for being so gracious and fun!

On to my most recent project. I really enjoyed knitting this adorable little gift. It was a present for my boss, who loves funky scarves, and had been dropping hints that she'd love a hand-knitted, but lightweight, scarf to wrap around her neck. After searching high and low for the "perfect" pattern, I found the Eden scarf, by Larissa Brown. The pattern is from Knitalong, a wonderful little book full of fun and simple patterns, many of which are designed to be knit with friends. The book also chronicles the history of the "knitalong" or KAL as they're often called. What I loved most about this book is that it wasn't just a book of patterns. It is full of intriguing stories of friendship, teamwork, and the common goal of getting something knitted! It's a great read, and a great source for simple, thoughtful patterns.

I knit my version of the Eden scarf out of 2 skeins of Noro Silk Garden. The scarf was knit on size US 7 double-pointed needles. I love the way the color transitions in this yarn/pattern combo, resulting in each leaf being a slightly different color than its neighbors. It took no time at all to finish (I'd guesstimate maybe 6-8 hours of knitting time, tops) and is perfect for intermediate beginners. All in all, it was a wonderful project, one that I'd enthusiastically recommend as a quick knitted gift. Here are some photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment